Therapy And Rehabilitation
At the Prestige Equestrian Therapy & Rehabilitation Centre we have the latest design of the Activo-Med water treadmill. Activo-Med have been producing water treadmills for over 17 years with over 80 installations throughout Europe and the U.K. Each horse is treated as an individual and a treatment/exercise plan is tailored accordingly. The treadmill is used to improve core strength, muscle development and stride length and is an ideal compliment as part of regular training and is suitable for all horses and ponies whatever their abilities. One of most important things is that the horse enjoys the experience, and the treadmill gives them a lot of confidence in their own ability to carry themselves and engage their core when working independently without a rider asking them to do so.
The water treadmill is highly beneficial in rehabilitation of horses post injury, it is suitable for a wide range of injuries ranging from tendon and ligaments to concussive injuries. The cold water has a positive effect on swelling and increases circulation in the area. The water itself has many therapeutic benefits, the resistance of the water increases muscular strength and research has shown that water can increase range of movement in joints and throughout the neck and back.
“Easy” stayed at Prestige Equestrian for a week of intensive treadmill sessions as a result of intermittent soundness issues. Since his visit to Summerhouse he has been able to return to work and comes at least once a week to maintain this.
“ The Prestige Equestrian water treadmill has transformed my horse from sore and weak to sound and strong. And the horse enjoys his sessions of paddling and splashing, even though he is also getting a good workout. Furthermore, the team are maximally helpful and professional. So I highly recommend getting this therapy service”- Brad Hooker and Easy
Prestige Equestrian has tailored packages as well as individual sessions available to suit your horses needs. Major benefits for all horses include:
- Work in a natural exercise medium with therapeutic elements
- Creates a gentle resistance that helps to strengthen the horse’s body
- Resistance from water builds strength and stamina
- Controlled supervised hydrokinetic exercise promoting aerobic activity, and has a cooling effect for muscles, tendons, ligaments and joints, aiding rehabilitation as well as limiting chances of injury
- Improves straightness
- Gait/biomechanical modification and improvement, such as improved joint mobility and strength
- Substantial reduction in weight-bearing exercise, research has shown stifle height water can reduce weight by up to 70%
- The treadmill can work as a dry treadmill or a water treadmill
- Speeds can be increased to trot as required
- The use of the incline on the treadmill can be used as an additional fitness option
Our new facilities consist of the following
- New purpose built spacious barn with natural light
- All staff trained by German vet and expert in hydrotherapy, Dr Matthias Baumann
- Latest model 2017. The only Activo-med water treadmill that offers an incline option as well, which provides the horse with extra fitness options
- Strong bio-security policy, water treadmill disinfected after each session
- Fees affordable to build into regular training programme
- There are NO chemicals needed to keep water clean due to the efficiency of the filtration system
- Use of our Activo-med rug with massage and magnetic therapy
- Floodlit and covered 6 horse Monarch Horse Walker
- Floodlit round pen with new Andrews Bowen surface January 2018
Lauren is qualified to Masters level in Equestrian Performance with an undergraduate degree in Equestrian Sports Science. She has vast experience in Equine Therapy as well as in Competition grooming including working at Showing yards, Studs and as a dressage groom.
During her masters study Lauren did an extended dissertation looking at the relationship between water depth and flexion extension of the thoracic spine during water treadmill exercise.
Hannah is a fully registered Veterinary Physiotherapist covering Gloucestershire, Worcester, Wiltshire and Oxfordshire. From milking to mucking out, Hannah has always enjoyed working with animals.
Following completion of her Undergraduate degree which included a dissertation researching the effect of various stresses exerted on the musculo-skeletal system of polo ponies, Hannah took the opportunity to travel around the World, pursuing her love of animals through work for a safari company in South Africa, racing yards in Australia, polo farms in Argentina and horse charities in India
View our Therapy and Rehabilitation brochure, with packages that we have available.
Click here to view our livery page and brochure.
Our Therapy Brochure
To book your sessions please contact our reception team on Tel:01452 720288 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org